Welcome home

Two friends texted welcome home and a third picked me up. I was in the east, visiting a friend who has known me since birth. I had a good trip. She is twenty years older than me.

It was very much an adventure traveling on oxygen, but it worked. It’s like having a cell phone that weighs ten pounds, plugs into your nose, the batteries are the size of my hand, my carry on weighs 50 pounds (batteries, oxygen concentrator, camera, flute, laptop and phone) (also a book, I’m retro) AND you still have your phone AND you can’t breathe if you leave part of it at home….. So why can’t I have ONE wire to charge all of these stupid electronics instead of a cord for the phone and a cord for the oxygen concentrators and a car charger and a cord for the laptop and a cord and charger for the camera. Hello Electronic Hell.

Anyhow, made it there and back, double masked on the plane and taxi and ferry and…. the number of people who were ignoring the “you must wear a mask” on the ferry was impressive. About half. Well, fifty percent of people are dumber than the other 49%, right? Right now I can pick them out in a crowd really easily. Hey, I am on oxygen, I really do not want covid-19 or strep A or flu or whatever else you are coughing into the air.

8 thoughts on “Welcome home

1. Lou Carreras says:

GORK. I love the precise medical terminology. It reminds me of surgeons who ask for the Thingee, and point in the general direction of your Mayo stand. Your mechanisms for coping with your situation are sort of full on attack mode – nothing seems to stop you.

• drkottaway says:

Once I leaned out a clinic room and did say “I need the um.” With a hand motion. My nurse promptly brought me a ring forceps. Yep. That um.

• drkottaway says:

I try to use correct medical terminology. However, sometimes it’s silly. I was scolded as an intern for describing a prostate exam as “squishy” instead of “boggy”. The resident had never been anywhere NEAR a bog.

• drkottaway says:

I also bought a very fancy pair of books about fractures so that when I have a patient with a fracture, I can look it up and sound professional, “it’s an angulated compound fracture of the distal radius with four points and a rabbit off the square of the hypotenuse.” and so forth….

2. Lou Carreras says:

How do you do with the flute and the oxygen?

• drkottaway says:

I can play flute with the oxygen. Without it I lose ground and get very goofy and hypoxic fast and it is darn hard to hold time. With it, a bit better, but still pretty short of breath (sob, right?) By the time a Telemann allegro is done.

• Lou Carreras says:

Is tidal capacity a factor in this?

• drkottaway says:

Um. I had pfts. Don’t remember tidal capacity. Per a 2012 doc I have pans which means an antibody to tubulin as well as two other antibodies. Apparently my personal antibody gorks my lungs and my fast twitch fatigable muscles but praises to the deity of thine choice, not my slow twitch muscles. Weird, eh?

Comments are closed.