new growth

I’ve been thinking about the A to Z challenge again. I did it last year, with 7 sins and friends. I wrote about an emotion each day…. and I planned to do it this year starting with the 7 virtues. Bet you can’t name as many virtues as sins…. though I don’t think any of the emotions are sins. They are part of us. They are part of the way we respond to the world and survive. We have to learn to pay attention to them and not label any of them as negative or bad. We cannot excise grief or fear or anger from our psyche and remain human. Instead we need to learn to be curious about each emotion….

…..and there has been a shift in my life, three parts all shifting at once, this week. It is very odd to have all three go at once. I may leave the virtues until next year, because this sudden freedom is strange, peculiar, unfamiliar…. I need to expand in it and explore it….

New growth….

11 thoughts on “new growth

1. OK, now I need to know WHAT 3 PARTS!?!

2. J.S. Pailly says:

May your new growth and sudden freedom lead you to the emotion known as happiness.

• drkottaway says:

well, though all three relate to love: family, work, romantic love. English does not have enough terms for love.

• drkottaway says:

…but no one is constantly happy all the time, are they? Nor should we be, when a dear patient dies in hospice, or a family member has cancer. Love and grief are linked like light and dark, like warmth and cold, like night and day.

• J.S. Pailly says:

Okay, you’re right. No one is happy all the time, and I think it would be pretty unbearable if they were. But I hope that whatever’s happening, happiness can be in there somewhere.

• drkottaway says:

When we grieve for a loved one, we can be happy about how much we loved them?

• J.S. Pailly says:

I suppose if it helps, you could think of it that way. When my father passed away, I tried to hide my grief, and I tried to force myself to be happy, and that was very much the worst thing I could have done. So I think I understand where you’re coming from. A close friend at the time told me that in order to be happy, you have to be able to cry.

• drkottaway says:

I think we agree even if we use different language. We have to grieve if we love.

Comments are closed.