Z is for zest

Z is for zest. What do you feel zest for?

The photograph is our small town synchronized swim team in 2007 at the Blossom, the last meet of the season that we went to that year. Our girls posed outside where it was very chilly, and all of the exited parents snapped photographs. Zest on both sides for the team and for swimming!

Webster 1913 here
Zest (?), n. F. zeste, probably fr. L. schistos split, cleft, divided, Gr. , from to split, cleave. Cf. Schism.

1. A piece of orange or lemon peel, or the aromatic oil which may be squeezed from such peel, used to give flavor to liquor, etc.

2. Hence, something that gives or enhances a pleasant taste, or the taste itself; an appetizer; also, keen enjoyment; relish; gusto.
Almighty Vanity! to thee they owe Their zest of pleasure, and their balm of woe. Young.
Liberality of disposition and conduct gives the highest zest and relish to social intercourse. Gogan.

3. The woody, thick skin inclosing the kernel of a walnut. Obs.

Z

from Dictionary.com here:

noun
1. keen relish; hearty enjoyment; gusto.
2. an agreeable or piquant flavor imparted to something.
3. anything added to impart flavor, enhance one’s appreciation, etc.
4. piquancy; interest; charm.
5. liveliness or energy; animating spirit.
6. the peel, especially the thin outer peel, of a citrus fruit used for flavoring:
lemon zest.

verb (used with object)
7.to give zest, relish, or piquancy to.

Zest for life, zest for writing, zest for all of the A to Z feelings that I’ve written about in the 7 sins and friends and all of the feelings that I haven’t written about. They are all part of being human! And now: zest for breakfast, I’m hungry!

Hooray for finishing and hooray for everyone who participated whether they finished or not!

16 thoughts on “Z is for zest

1. aj vosse says:

Seems we can still make friends even after the challenge is over!! The best outcome of the A to Z indeed!! ;-)

• drkottaway says:

I know, I did try to read 5 a day, but I am still looking around reading different blogs…. darn it, work interferes…. heh.

• aj vosse says:

Work and life interfere!! I’ll rapidly have to back-off! Although I’m between jobs at the moment my writing has taken a back step! Work and life!! ;-) I’ll leave you to your early morning work!b :D

• drkottaway says:

… there’s another contest over on everything2.com…..and I am sure there are dozens of others….

• aj vosse says:

No… I’ll go back to my one way again. I was actually just over a Dublin A to Z and am now doing a few posts for this week… O, P and Q! ;-) Do visit if you feel you need to know more about the Irish capital! :D

• drkottaway says:

…mmmm I do so want to travel!! Save my pennies…..

• aj vosse says:

I read your Dear Donald post… I promise… Ireland is in dire need of experienced doctors!! You’ll have a ball and with Europe on your doorstep travel will happen naturally! 8-)

• drkottaway says:

oooooo…. tempting….I will have to come check it out. Got my passport photo the other day to renew my passport.

• aj vosse says:

There you have it!! I promise they’ll throw the work authorisation at you so fast you’ll have to duck to prevent injury! :-P

• drkottaway says:

….yes, one can be buried alive under the weight of the paperwork going from one doctor job to another…..

• aj vosse says:

Sounds familiar! And I’m only the patient! ;-)

2. sheilaspostcards says:

Before I got as far as the text, I thought that the girls looked really cold. I see I was right :)

I had a swimming son. He certainly had a zest for it – it was the only thing that would get him out of bed in the morning.

3. HesterLeyNel says:

And on this zesty note we came to the end of the challenge! I loved your entries and I hope you enjoyed the experience as much as I did. Now, to try and catch up with the backlog of work I should have been doing instead. :P Best wishes to you.

4. calensariel says:

I see Irish dancers aren’t the only ones who all dress and do their hair alike! They seem so small!

Comments are closed.